View All >>






Google
the web
this blog



Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

43 things i want to do

www.flickr.com

This Web site is Registered with Published.com

Creative Commons License
All works licensed under a Creative Commons License.

 



Literature blogs

BloggerNetwork.org




if you cant find your link, maybe you are an outdated link, please inform me of your new home. tnx!


Sunday, November 26, 2006

Illo Friday: Invent

No poems this time. But I owe this blog's visitors a worthwhile post, since i was on hiatus for more than a month, without prior notice.

This is my contribution for Invention.
Painting with light; poetry in motion. literally..


"lady behind the shadows"


I first came upon the term "Camera Toss" over at flickr. I had accidental shots with my digital cam [sample] and MagnaCam [sample] that resembled disfigured light trails but ended on my faves folder. I knew I had use for them someday. Then I chanced upon a group that shared amazing shots of lights whirling in different angles and lines.

I could not totally consider my shots as "camera tossing" because, technically, I don't toss my camera to gain these shots. But as Ryan Gallagher puts it, "Camera Toss is photography technique, the singular action of throwing a camera into the air intending it take a picture while in free flight. As with all techniques however, where the photographer, hobbyist, or artist chooses to go from there is highly an individual decision/direction and subject to interpretation..." [read his interview]

Since I don't literally toss my camera, I searched more.. and if there is a group with similar qualities or technique. Then I was struct with this description.. "...where the photographer paints with the available light. This is not to be confused with camera tossing...This is not to say I don't like the camera tossing photos. I just don't do 'em. I like to hold the camera and move it myself, make the light seem to dance." - Light Painting Pool.

So, the question now is, who invented the art of light painting and/or tossing a camera? It would seem that Ryan, also known as clickykbd, is a pioneer of this technique, but not directly the inventor. Others may have given it a shot at numerous times in the past. And as he says, "it seems either no one got results that convinced them to really pursue it further, or it just never captured a broad audience before."

For further information, please visit:
official camera toss blog
Tossing Guide for Beginners
El Ray (one of my most admired cameratoss artists)

-----
update: I also entered this post at Lens Day challenge: Power.

*.*

23 Park your thoughts here:

Blogger isay whispered...

oh yes, i've been visiting your site.

interesting painting with lights. i will visit your link later and read more.... have a nice monday later.

27/11/06 3:23 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

thanks for visiting.. and hehe its my busy sked at work that's keeping me. anyway, another monday, another week! thanks for the comment, isay..

27/11/06 8:08 AM  
Blogger Aravis whispered...

I value my camera too much to toss it, on the off chance that I'll fail to catch!

This turned out beautifully. I see a large nose (to the right) sniffing dancing penguins (to the left). I think I may have seen too many ads for "Happy Feet," but I'm not sure where the nose came in. *G*

27/11/06 3:41 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

Well there were tips oh having a string attached to the cam. although that still didnt convince me to toss mine. Maybe if I happen to have a spare cam then I'd really toss mine 8) I'm more of a light painter, if i might say.

and ooh (lol) I haven't seen that Happy Feet yet, but they said it's nice.

28/11/06 1:08 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX whispered...

Not being a person who takes pictures much, I con't know, but i suspect the techies who came up with the digital camera were the first to toss them, if for no other reason than to check for kinks and flaws of camera, who knows. Your light painting is eerie and beautiful, invention enough!

29/11/06 3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

Interesting photo; you might submit it to "Lensday" also for the photo submissions - power is the theme this week.

1/12/06 2:04 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

hardwax... yeah i agree with you on that. and strangely tho, i just saw a documentary of pink floyd few days ago (made in the 60's) with stills of messed-up lights that resembled light painting.. 'twas great!

ascenderrisesabove... thanks for that suggested group. i found very interesting entries, and yours is a fave too 8)

1/12/06 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

yeah. i missed you. i was starting to wonder whatever happened to you. it's been like ages since i last post here. ugh!

anyway, happy to note that your making beautiful art as always:)

10/12/06 1:47 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

hee.. thanks.. and i miss blogging too. well i havent even uploaded new pics at my friendster account yet. lol. and i forgot to post something last Dec. 7. anyways.. add christmas rush to my work sked and oh the result is chaos! hehe..

13/12/06 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

14/12/06 8:51 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

ohh another long spam deleted. i read that before.. brrr..

14/12/06 7:32 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet whispered...

I put a camera tossing shot on my blog a while back! Nice!

20/12/06 6:51 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

oh great! ill visit that in a while. 8) thanks for droppin by..

21/12/06 3:39 PM  
Blogger Anonymous whispered...

Thinking of you! Merry, merry :)

23/12/06 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

hey, where are you? nawala ka na sa sirkulasyon:)

anyway, batiin lang kita ng maligayang pasko at masigabong bagong taon. tama ba?

enjoy the holidays dear:)

23/12/06 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

It has been fun getting to know you this year. Wishing you a happy holiday and a peaceful new year!

24/12/06 1:50 AM  
Blogger dreaming-neko whispered...

merry xmas, velvet :)

27/12/06 4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

Merry christmas !!!!!!!

well i too dont toss the camera , but like to hold it and make it move just enough to get the effect i desire . when i first did it I posted one pic at P-O-T-Y , but then the idea wasnt quite liked by others . its nice to know that there are so many people who do such things and infact they go a step further in losing control of the camera .
i'll post my efforts on a blog and then give you a link ...

27/12/06 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

What must I do to get you back hurhur...

30/12/06 8:23 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

just looming over cyberspace and i realized that i have forgotten my blogs and blogger friends.. 8(

31/12/06 9:36 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

anonymous, AscenderRisesAbove, dreaming-neko.. Happy Holidays to all of you too.. and Happy New Year! thanks for passing by.. both in my life and my blog/s 8D

diety.. yep, oo nga medyo nawala ako sa karimlan.. hehe.. Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong taon! Glad to have met you here, kababayan.. hehe 8)

Paddy.. thanks, it is indeed great to meet and see different people with same interests.. and pls do send a link to that blog. i would also recommend that you join the flickr groups i mentioned, in case you havent yet. Happy New Year!

aristocrat.. woah.. hmm..
};-}

and.. to all those wondering.. im still here.. just busy. but i will have time to post soon.. (i hope) ..miss everyone...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

31/12/06 9:48 PM  
Blogger isay whispered...

Happy New Year!

1/1/07 8:19 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

hi! cool icon.. Happy New Year too! 8D

1/1/07 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

Locations of visitors to this page

All Poetry, Artwork and Images © Copyright 2004-2008 Atomicvelvetsigh
unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.
Support your favorite artists and don't steal!

   Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License | Intellectual Property Code | Disclaimer

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape