View All >>






Google
the web
this blog



Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

43 things i want to do

www.flickr.com

This Web site is Registered with Published.com

Creative Commons License
All works licensed under a Creative Commons License.

 



Literature blogs

BloggerNetwork.org




if you cant find your link, maybe you are an outdated link, please inform me of your new home. tnx!


Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Illo Friday: Emergency

The Interview

Swish! Zoomed the elevator. Ting! As the two mirrored doors parted ways right in front of me, I saw an empty room with plain white walls. A lone portrait of a woman hangs by the right and on my left, a glass wall with the encryption “Je Maintiendrai” served as a divider for the corridor and a smaller room.

Name please? A startling voice greeted me, without noticing that I have moved from the elevator unto the 26th floor lobby. As I gave out my name, a small piece of glossy paper was handed to me. V005, it read.

It looked bigger than what is seen outside. This smaller room served as a waiting room for the people who will be interviewed. A big sign that says no mobile phones allowed welcomed everyone that comes through the door. I sat by a wooden chair at the farthest corner so I could see everything at front. Either that or I would like to avoid people staring at my back.

A glace at my watch indicated that there was nothing else left to do. The windows will open after an hour, said the gateman. And by then we should be ready with our papers. I surveyed the room and it was only me and seven other fellas sitting. No word was uttered amongst each other and the distance of each chair didn’t help at all.

But the view... yes, the astonishing view made me gasp for a big gulp of air. On my right, the only thing that divided me and the whole city was a clear glass. How I hoped it was a very, very thick glass! I was afraid to put down a finger on it. My paranoia screamed in my mind that the glass will fall off and the air will suck me right out of the building! I moved a couple of inches further away from the glass but the city didn’t felt smaller and the streets down below didn’t disappear. Yes, I am afraid of heights…but nothing scared me the most than being the next one to be interviewed.

So for emergency cases as this, I took out my pen and ripped a piece of paper from my duplicates file folder. It was a photocopy of my bank statement. I folded it and then with the faint silence and an occasional clearing of throat from the person in front of me, my hand drew what my eyes saw. A quick three minutes is all that it takes to calm me down. And I stared outside unto the world. Waiting… for my turn.



"there but not here"
4" x 5" (orig.)
sketch on recycled paper

*.*

15 Park your thoughts here:

Blogger Focus_ret whispered...

It is amazing how calming drawing or painting can be. Concentrating on the task makes your worries fade to the background.

Your sketch gives a good feel for the height you were at.

16/8/07 1:45 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

couldnt agree with you less.. those wonderful 3 minutes of bliss.. but then again after that i had to face reality..

oh well that was a wonderful sight off the 26th floor.. to bad i wasnt able to take a photo of it.

16/8/07 2:43 PM  
Blogger Focus_ret whispered...

So, how did the interview go?

16/8/07 3:34 PM  
Blogger soulbrush whispered...

i see you like words as much as i do, thanx for the visit and we'll stay in touch now

16/8/07 5:13 PM  
Blogger AnonymousCog whispered...

Just passing by to return the favor. Love the blog, nice drawing.

AC

16/8/07 5:43 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

the interview went fine i guess. but the torture is the 12 more days of waiting for the results! ha! 8)

16/8/07 6:06 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

ohh last comment was for focus_ret

forever young.. that's great! i shall add you to my links btw. and hope to hear from you again 8)

AC.. thanks for droppin by. told you it was a different kind of interview. ^_^

16/8/07 6:10 PM  
Blogger Vhrsti whispered...

Cool!

16/8/07 8:47 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

hehe.. thanks 8)

17/8/07 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

Wonderful work!
*HUGS*

17/8/07 10:05 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

thanks! xoxo *hugs back*

18/8/07 9:13 AM  
Blogger isay whispered...

cool drawing velvet and i enjoyed reading your post and was excited to find out what happened at the end.....i feel like i am being tortured,too he he ..... have a nice weekend-i hope the rain had already stopped.

18/8/07 6:09 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

well im still waiting for the results and soon as I know of course I'll post it! hehehe..

btw coz of the rain here schools have been suspended for 3 days, too bad work wasn't. lol.

19/8/07 1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

And I see you have another one of this in color. You should have placed it here too. Goodluck on the results!

19/8/07 6:39 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

actually i was planning that for this week's IF but then again i have a story for Captain that i wanna share. hehe..

thanks for wishing me luck!
xx fingers crossed xx

19/8/07 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

Locations of visitors to this page

All Poetry, Artwork and Images © Copyright 2004-2008 Atomicvelvetsigh
unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.
Support your favorite artists and don't steal!

   Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License | Intellectual Property Code | Disclaimer

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape