View All >>






Google
the web
this blog



Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

43 things i want to do

www.flickr.com

This Web site is Registered with Published.com

Creative Commons License
All works licensed under a Creative Commons License.

 



Literature blogs

BloggerNetwork.org




if you cant find your link, maybe you are an outdated link, please inform me of your new home. tnx!


Monday, February 20, 2006

Illo Friday - Song: "Help!"

Help! by The Beatles



900 x 600
MS Paint



I picked this song not just because I love the Beatles and they have been a big part of my life, influencing me in both art and music. But because I am spreading the word to those who would like to "help". (read details below)




A recent tragedie happened in my country...

The Horror:
10 days of heavy rains;
375 homes had disappeared;
nearly 100 acres of land covered;
100 feet of mud burried all houses, a school, and residents alive;
250 pupils and teachers were at the school when this happened;
only 1 child and 1 adult found nearby;
83 people have been found alive;
19 have been found dead;
estimated 200 dead and 1,500 - 2,000 missing...

2 other villages affected;
3,000 evacuees huddled at a municipality hall;
11 villages in Leyte evacuated due to landslide concerns...



Now, mud covered all the houses that once stood in Guinsaugon, in the town of St Bernard on the island of Leyte, Southern part of the Philippines.

Greenpeace said illegal logging may prove to have contributed to the mudslide. Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies blamed a combination of the weather and the type of trees prevalent in the area.

Read about them:
- Philippines Landslide Deaths May Top 1,500
- Mud wipes out Philippines village
- Mudslide traps kids in school

Local News:
- ‘We’re alive, dig us out’
- In buried school, desperate text messages -- then silence

Photos:
In pictures: Philippines mudslide

---
Sometimes, I feel I am lucky that I don't live near/at places as these, nor know anyone who lived there. But I feel for them, as they are as well my brothers and sisters... and so are yours!

Prayers are not the only thing they need right now, also Help!

Please Donate for the Leyte mudslide victims:
- Red Cross Red Crescent | RedCross.ph
- Donate (contribute to: Disaster Relief Emergency Fund)

*.*

24 Park your thoughts here:

Blogger Anonymous whispered...

The Beatles were a huge influenece to me also. Had an artroom with painted murals of them surrounding. Your image reminded me :) Thanks for the rest of the 'Help' information!

20/2/06 10:49 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

wow! I'd love to see your room! Made this thru MS Paint only .. but love to do this using real paint.. gotta say i miss the smell of paint and thinner in my room...

and about the Help info.. i hope more people will also 'help'

20/2/06 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

thanx for your comment and for considering me an artist :)
I feel sad in these days because the landslides in leyte and NOW zamboanga...phil.are in my heart!

20/2/06 5:46 PM  
Blogger isay whispered...

great choice. i like almost all the beatles song.

Good that you were able to post the "help" info.

Best regards

20/2/06 7:53 PM  
Blogger junat whispered...

sad to hear what has happened.
when nature strikes then not much can be done to stop it. there is no prevention only cure. not sure if it occurs frequently in tht place or is it a rarety for that area.

20/2/06 8:08 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

aynaku.. thank you so much.. i know there are people out there who feel the same... 8)

isay.. thanks.. love them too.. and yeah, have to spread the news to pinoys abroad too..

20/2/06 9:45 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

paddy.. well first time happened there but there have been landslides elsewhere.. but in the meantime, hope for help and survivors are what they have.

20/2/06 9:46 PM  
Blogger Regina whispered...

The Beatles are an amazing musical icon. I love them as well.

Thanks for sharing the "help" information. You are very compassionate!

22/2/06 12:03 AM  
Blogger carla whispered...

I grew up with the Beatles, and they have been a huge part of my life, so I especially like this illustration. I like the b & w treatment. Thanks for posting the help info.

22/2/06 2:21 AM  
Blogger andrea whispered...

I was horrified when I heard about the slide. We have an old slide site near here and I think of those who were killed every time I pass. Good choice using the Beatles as the tie-in.

22/2/06 5:46 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

creative kismet.. thanks.. i just feel for them for i know how hard it feels to lose a loved one from a tragedie.. esp knowing how many children remain missing..

carla.. The Beatles are really amazing.. i even have a shared silly theory with someone that they are aliens! 8)

andrea.. me too.. and i hope that those who learned of this will also try to help.. adding all little ones will sum up big...

22/2/06 9:29 AM  
Blogger TXArtcGal whispered...

I still play the Beatles on my MP3 player. Who would have thought they would be so timeless in their art. Your illustration depicts them wonderfully!

I have been praying for all those struck by this tragedy. It is so sad.

22/2/06 9:45 AM  
Blogger Aravis whispered...

Great message, Velvet. Thanks!

22/2/06 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

call me super dedma or whatever, but i never really heard of the whole leyte tragedy, not until my boyfriend asked if I have already read about it. dang me! even my family didn't mention about it when i called home a few days ago.

i really feel sad that these kind of things happened to our fellowmen. it broke my heart to know that some people lost their families, their source of income, their properties, which makes me more appreciative of what little i have now.

we can only pray for them.

btw, dad's a fanatic of beatles. we still have those longplaying albums in the house.

23/2/06 4:56 AM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca whispered...

"With a ring like that I could- dare I say it- rule the world" (A line from the Beatles' movie, HELP! -for those who don't know.)

Great picture, what a tragic story.

23/2/06 7:48 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

TXArtcGal, Aravis.. thanks 8) have my share of mp3s and cds as well. (cant play the old tapes and LPs now...)

deity.. well i wont call you deadma.. who can blame you? you are in another country... maybe your fam dont want you to get worried or they just totally forgot..

i actually had mails from relatives abroad asking about this too and i passed on the links for where to donate. i really like to thank those who have big hearts who shared what they can to help.

and about the Beatles LPs.. well i have some but too bad they remain as display/collectibles.. coz i dont have a player. tssk..

Tony LaRocca.. ohh yeah! that film i havent seen.. thanks for the info.. and erm.. its long time said that the Beatles claimed they can indeed rule the world.. at how i see it.. i think they did. back then.

23/2/06 12:17 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

updates about the tragedie: mini United Nations: Malaysians, Taiwanese, US Marines and Philippine soldiers together with International Red Cross Red Crescent, all placed tents to help with the dig up... although death toll rose to 122 on Thursday, and officials fear it could rise to 1,000. more>>

23/2/06 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

i'm so sorry for the victims... thanks for sharing.
great choice of illustration for 'song', what else can be more perfect than beatles!
btw, thanks for dropping by my gallery.

24/2/06 7:48 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

thanks for the sympathies..
love your gallery and yeah, Beatles are the Greatest...

25/2/06 9:01 AM  
Blogger floots whispered...

a terrible tragedy
my thoughts go out to all those involved
directly and indirectly

26/2/06 1:08 AM  
Blogger HARDWAX whispered...

Better late than never, I don't know, but I missed your song last week. anyway, it's a beauty in black and white, and a bonus because it's the Beatles. Your narrative is a heart wrenching, and i have taken it to heart.

26/2/06 8:44 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

floots.. i may be counted as those 'indirectly' involved.. but it saddens me that the dig up was ended today, as they find it impossible to see any more survisors...

Hardwax.. comments are never too late esp when it comes from the heart. thank you for your moving words.

27/2/06 2:48 AM  
Blogger Angela's Designs whispered...

I heard about the slide on the news... always makes me stop and take a moment. Nice image of the Beatles.

27/2/06 7:30 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

that's a sweet thoughtful gesture.. 8) and about the beatles, thanks. this drawing have been in my drafts for weeks.. only now that i finally finished this illo.

28/2/06 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

Locations of visitors to this page

All Poetry, Artwork and Images © Copyright 2004-2008 Atomicvelvetsigh
unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.
Support your favorite artists and don't steal!

   Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License | Intellectual Property Code | Disclaimer

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape