View All >>






Google
the web
this blog



Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

43 things i want to do

www.flickr.com

This Web site is Registered with Published.com

Creative Commons License
All works licensed under a Creative Commons License.

 



Literature blogs

BloggerNetwork.org




if you cant find your link, maybe you are an outdated link, please inform me of your new home. tnx!


Sunday, June 01, 2008

illo friday: baby

"Shift work sleep disorder is a sleep disorder which affects people who change their work or sleep schedules frequently
or work longterm on other than the day shift.

Such recurrent interruption of sleep patterns may result in
insomnia and/or excessive sleepiness."
- wikipedia



in dreams
515 x 630 (orig.)
MS Paint


i think i have this disorder. no, i really do have this. but is there a cure?

working at night, sleeping at day (or at least trying to sleep). this is my routine during weekdays for the past 3 years. and prior to my night job, i have insomnia. and it was not bothering me at all.

i can read, draw, surf online, watch a movie and do more, while everyone else is sleeping and nobody is disturbing me. i move carefully tho for i dont wanna wake up or disturb anybody as well. so, no noisy neighbors playing their boom boom music or people shouting, talking loud, babies crying, kids playing on the street. blah! it's more peaceful this way.

and when i got my job on a night shift, i thought it was perfect! for three years, i have never felt sleepy at work more than 5 times. and the days i felt sleepy was due to totally not having sleep at all during day, which is very very rare and one was because i was sick and still at work.

my normal sleep takes only about 4-6 hours and when i exceed 8, i suffer from headaches soon as i wake up. i know its not the standard sleeping hours, but who is normal nowadays?

recently tho i noticed that i only have insomnia during weekdays, and sleep loong looong hours during weekends. there was a time that i even slept the whole day. yes, as in 17 hours or so! tssk, it was not productive. but i did not have any headache when i woke up. strange! and i woke up sometime around 2am to 4am. sleep like this makes my weekend fly by quickly until its monday again and i have to work again. geesh! i hated that.

yesterday, i went to bed at 4pm and slept the whole night. i woke up around 2am and im about to go back to bed after i post this. yes i know i have abnormal sleep. but how can i help it if im sleepy right now?! ha! let's see if i sleep long like a baby, or like a baby - waking up at the slightest noise.

i'll update tomorrow. moogie dreams everyone! night night..


---
helpful reads:
inosmnia | dyssomnia | parasomnia

*.*

17 Park your thoughts here:

Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

note on the illo.. this is an old ms painting i did in 2005. for those who were at IF since then, maybe you have seen my entry for broken

technically, thats not cheating, right? hehe };-}

well im off to bed lets see if i can make a new one for this week. maybe a female version? hm...

1/6/08 10:29 AM  
Blogger studio lolo whispered...

I wish you could sleep like a baby :)

My brother in law has been working the night shift at a hotel for 28 years. I don't know how he can last that long. He looks like hell, too. Never sees the light of day.

1/6/08 10:38 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

gee.. 28 years! my o my.. i dont know if i can stand that long too!

here's hoping for the best.. i just drank milk too so hope it helps me fall asleep quickly.

1/6/08 11:11 AM  
Blogger Sandy whispered...

Me too have the same problem. Working as software developer has never been easy. sitting in front of PC for 9hours a day and then not be able to sleep at nights makes me really mad.

But not completely insomaniac. On weekends i take a noon nap and i sleep like dead log.

1/6/08 1:50 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

ohh yeah we are the same indeed! i just woke up after a 7 hour sleep and i know i set the alarm for 2 hours ago.. but cant remember if it did alarm.

2/6/08 3:55 AM  
Blogger isay whispered...

we should have a club because i don't sleep well, too.

finally i was able to leave comments, now.

wishing you all the best.where can i see the pictures of your trip to Holland and Paris?

2/6/08 4:11 PM  
Blogger Aravis whispered...

I like this illo. I'm thinking of heading that way myself. I, too, have this disorder, if you want to call it that. I used to work 3rd shift, and still tend to be up late. The only time I fall asleep before midnight is if I'm really sick.

I no longer work 3rd shift, haven't for awhile, yet I tend to gravitate to this sleep schedule whenever I don't have to be up for work or school the next day.

2/6/08 4:49 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Rietz whispered...

Hi Sigh - Oh, I am sorry you have so much trouble sleeping. I work late into the early morning, but I have no problem getting 6 - 8 hours of sleep.

One thing to think about if yu work in front of a computer before bed or watch TV to try to fall asleep: the light of the computer monito/tv can disrupt your sleep patterns.

Very nice piece of art BTW. And thanks for mentioning me in your post last week. I am catching up with all f the work I missed when I was sick, so sorry I did not thank you sooner.

2/6/08 4:54 PM  
Blogger Levin whispered...

question is... do you want to be cured? i have a hard time sleeping with the normal circadian rythm, particularly because... well i work better after midnight. it's the solitude of night. i love it.

besides, i think sleep is a waste of time, more than a third of our lives will be spent on it, but we can't live without it. the brain rearranges our memories during the day, kinda like defragging a hard drive.

but sleep is sweet, especially when you exhaust yourself... that's why i sleep only when i can't keep myself up anymore

3/6/08 12:42 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

isay.. haa!! we should indeed! ohh you wanna see the pics? erm.. do you have a friendster account? i can add you.. email me your link/email that you use there.

aravis.. oh my you should also be in the club isay talked about! hehe.. 8)

3/6/08 12:48 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

kate.. ohh you were sick.. didnt know.. but its nice to see you're ok now. and about last week's IF entry.. gee would you believe that i saw another accident just last friday! a motorcycle was hit by a taxi and i saw the man flung to the gutter.. but gee enough "worries" for this week..

thanks for dropping by..

levin.. hmm good question.. do i want to be cured? sometimes it doesnt bother me but sometimes i really need to sleep but i cant. thats the problem. well anyway i think i'll be havin this for a long long time.. hahaha.. wanna join the club? lol 8)

3/6/08 1:31 AM  
Blogger Levin whispered...

i'd love to! :-P im nocturnal by nature ;-P so this isn't really abnormal to me anymore.

lately my sleeping patterns are crazy erratic tho... i think my circadian rythm spans more than 24 hours, so i fall asleep at different times.

3/6/08 9:59 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

yay! normally i dont go with the fad but i sense alot of people are getting nocturnal.. 8D haaa!!

well it pays to be of the IT industry huh? (well im just guessing) anyway as for me, working in a call center really bites when it comes to scheduling sleep..

4/6/08 12:32 AM  
Blogger Janet whispered...

'sorry about your sleep troubles!I've never worked night shift(but always thought I'd like it...I'm somewhat of a night owl.)
I love my sleep, because I dream the most amazing dreams...I used to be able to sleep at any time,anywhere...but I have horrible back pain now, and I toss and turn all night long.I'll join your sleepless club, too.

6/6/08 9:01 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

ohh i envy you for being able to sleep at anytime anywhere!

sometimes they say its with the pillow.. hmm.. lol of course if isay would really start a club we'll all join! 8D

6/6/08 11:32 PM  
Blogger Jannie Funster whispered...

I'm sorry for your sleep troubles.

Personally, I'm still all f-ed up since the Spring Time Change. Still! Things were going so freaking great, asleep at 9:30, up like a cheery bird at 6:00. But that blew all to f*@k in March.

Yet, I try to breathe and smile as much as I can tell myself to.

7/6/08 11:37 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh whispered...

gee, you have such a dilemma as well! i guess sleep weird conditions strikes us all in one time or another..

thanks for sharing and droppin by..

8/6/08 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

Locations of visitors to this page

All Poetry, Artwork and Images © Copyright 2004-2008 Atomicvelvetsigh
unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.
Support your favorite artists and don't steal!

   Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License | Intellectual Property Code | Disclaimer

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape